Alternate275... And I'm recruiting devlopers d:

Alternate275

Combo Spectator
Hi... Name's Alternate275...
Call me Alty or Alt for short :my_specoo
Fighting game enthusiast and general gaming as a hobby xDD (who doesn't?)
I'm no n00b at "using" the emulators... As infact... I download many versions of the same console to see which I like best d:

I am however... Very n00bish at understanding how to actually develop an emulator... I'm studying very hard to learn how to make one and I'm hoping my computer classes at my college might give me some clues... And maybe my professors, lol...

Anywho... I'm trying to find anybody who is willing to help and contribute in anyway...

I'm looking to develop a Naomi Board emulator ^^ Which I understand maybe hell at trying to make :glare:

Anywho... If anybody is willing to help... Please lemme know ^^

EDIT: Also a proud member of http://ikeii.free-forums.org/
:D

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
Come on. Emulator developing is hard work, especially for systems like Atomiswave and Naomi. The people that can do it are probably already a part of MAMEdev. MAMEdev does what it likes, not what people ask.
Do you really expect people to spend 100s of hours to make you an emulator.
Sorry if I sound harsh, but it's just how things are...

Alternate275

Combo Spectator
Come on. Emulator developing is hard work, especially for systems like Atomiswave and Naomi. The people that can do it are probably already a part of MAMEdev. MAMEdev does what it likes, not what people ask.
Do you really expect people to spend 100s of hours to make you an emulator.
Sorry if I sound harsh, but it's just how things are...

Nah, no worries... I know you're just bein' real...
But you've acted like I'm not aware of the stress that is yet to beheld :p
I already know... I really do =P

What's more... Ambition can take you long places.. I'd know =P
I'm self taught in many things ^^

And actually... I expect thousands of hours.. .Not hundreds... And although all signs may seem against me... Who's to say I can't learn :glare:

Don't count me out just yet man... Not yet...

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
The reason I responded like I did was because most people (including myself) don't know how hard it is to code an emulator. It took years to properly decrypt CPS2, while many intelligent people were working on it. If it hadn't been for Andreas Naive, we probably wouldn't have CPS2 emulation now.
If you want to start with programming emulators, there is one rule: start with a Chip-8 emulator. This seems the most easy system to start with.
Check this link for some good info on the subject.
I wish you the best of luck with your project :)

Alternate275

Combo Spectator
The reason I responded like I did was because most people (including myself) don't know how hard it is to code an emulator. It took years to properly decrypt CPS2, while many intelligent people were working on it. If it hadn't been for Andreas Naive, we probably wouldn't have CPS2 emulation now.
If you want to start with programming emulators, there is one rule: start with a Chip-8 emulator. This seems the most easy system to start with.
Check this link for some good info on the subject.
I wish you the best of luck with your project :)

Thanks much! :D
I appreciate it =P

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Hey, cast me in for any front end, c++ design. I don't work much with ASSEMBLY any longer but could also help with that.

my skill sets that you may be of interest to.

C++ programmer, also well vrs'd in Java Flash/ various game engines.
Electronic design.
Part time graphic artist.

I have some time to devote, but involved in lots of projects my self. Feel free to PM me.

Oh and ya it may be a daunting task, but never hears to try, if it's something you love, there is no wasted time.

Alternate275

Combo Spectator
Hey, cast me in for any front end, c++ design. I don't work much with ASSEMBLY any longer but could also help with that.

my skill sets that you may be of interest to.

C++ programmer, also well vrs'd in Java Flash/ various game engines.
Electronic design.
Part time graphic artist.

I have some time to devote, but involved in lots of projects my self. Feel free to PM me.

Oh and ya it may be a daunting task, but never hears to try, if it's something you love, there is no wasted time.

Oh thanks... It looks like we can move this along a little...

Zach

Just wanted to echo some of what has been said.

You really do want to start out on a real easy project. Reverse engineering in itself is hard to do, but to be a total newcomer to hardware that is usually designed to keep the pros out, is a tough pill to swallow for anyone.

Even if you don't release something publicly, building some primitive emulators would do more to teach you about emulator programming than anybody could teach you with words alone. It will also teach you about the development process, which is also going to be a tough thing to learn about, in some areas. You're going to want to learn Assembly language for sure. Probably both for the CPU platform you are developing on (x32/64/etc) and the platform you are trying to emulate (if public documentation exists).

If you can't read or understand opcodes and bits and how they work, you won't get -anywhere-.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
I would say yes, he certainly has his priorities straight, and is realistic. If I were to take a stab I would guess some windows platform maybe .net background, asm familiarity, and possibly a bit of object design. But that just a guess from paying attention to his posts.

Zach

You guys are great. :D

But no, I don't program, not even as an off hobby.

I have tried programming over the years and I lack the "oh I get it" to continue teaching myself a lot of the times. I think if I took an actual classroom course I could do something, but otherwise I'm hopeless..

I do however, tend to know what I'm talking about because even if I can't do it, I still ask around or read other things here and there. But I also make logical guesses. I've been around emulation for so long, and being of a technical mind, I at least understand what it would take to build one.

My current side project is messing with Trackers/Softsynth studios though.. Because I LOVE music. I want to at least have a complete song made one day, when I get over the learning curve of composition.

Last edited:

Zach

Actually I've been told I should be a lawyer..

My memory and argumentative skills are unsurpassed by many.

I also have insane knowledge about pharms ;)

Zach

I've just gotten into contact with Steve Snake, the developer of Kega Fusion, who I interviewed before.

He's going to be assisting me in a Q&A/ Article about how emulators are developed. It looks promising to be a good technical piece, but I will definitely make it easy for the layman to understand when it's all said and done.