Kega Graphics

Saucerful

Avid Fan
Why would it be that with default settings, and hq2x enabled, I'm getting 40-50 fps whereas with "ForceCompatibleGFX=1" and hq2x enabled, I get the desired 60 fps.

My computer is a Pentium 4 2.8 GHz and my video card is a GeForce 6800 GS. That's not new but it's not bad hardware either so why the issue with the graphics?

Ryanfaescotland

Why would it be that with default settings, and hq2x enabled, I'm getting 40-50 fps whereas with "ForceCompatibleGFX=1" and hq2x enabled, I get the desired 60 fps.

My computer is a Pentium 4 2.8 GHz and my video card is a GeForce 6800 GS. That's not new but it's not bad hardware either so why the issue with the graphics?

Because "default settings<forcecompatiblegfx=1"

Spellsong

Gray Mage
Hqx2 is known to slow down emulation depending on the type of computer you have. I think its dependent on CPU or ram. I can't remember. When I upgraded both, no slowdown at all. I use the Bilinear Plus filter. The best filter on the emulator since it gets the picture just right 99%. Well this is in 680x480 mode. I don't know about fullscreen.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Did this thread really need resurrecting without adding any kind of constructive input?.

And he wasn't asking about graphics he was asking about framerates.

Ryanfaescotland

I don't remember posting such a useless post >_< although it's got quote marks so I presume it's from the READ ME file. Hmmmm

Zach

I think it's clear we weren't yelling at you man... re read the thread post by post if you feel otherwise o_O

Saucerful

Avid Fan
Hqx2 is known to slow down emulation depending on the type of computer you have.

True. But it works beautifully in emulators for other systems, and even in other Genesis emulators. That also doesn't explain why I get the desired framerate with "ForceCompatibleGFX=1" and I don't with "ForceCompatibleGFX=0".

I prefer Kega as an emulator because of its features and accurate emulation, but if I could get the framerate up while still being able to use all the features, that would be even better.

Last edited:

Zach

I can't speak for Steve, but most likely the FPS increase with using that option is probably due to some rendering technique he used earlier in production, but was actually "cheating" in some way.

So he left it in for people lacking the power to run the more accurate emulation mode, is my guess.