What Windows Version should i go with?

Alucard_The_Dex

Angery Mame User
Few questions.

Would my 900mhz be enough to emulate from nes - Playstation?

If im going to play Dos games should i go with Windows 98, ME, or 2000?

Ive Played a few Dos games on windows 2000 even XP with the only problem of no sound. Now i did download them so i dont know if they are patched to work with 2000&^ or what.

Should i Just dual boot 2000 and 98? Cuz honestly i dont like 98 at all but if its what i need to cleanly play games like Blood then i can fix it up to coop.

Any Help would be great Thank ya.

Jale

If you have less than 128 MB of RAM, consider installing Windows 2000 instead of Windows XP. Now to answer your questions:

Alucard_The_Dex said:
Would my 900mhz be enough to emulate from nes - Playstation?
Yes. Even my old 850 MHz computer (which I still use) can run it flawlessly.

Alucard_The_Dex said:
If im going to play Dos games should i go with Windows 98, ME, or 2000?
There's a MS-DOS emulator called DOSBox which allows you to play MS-DOS games under NT environment, such as Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP and possibly Windows Vista.

Alucard_The_Dex said:
Ive Played a few Dos games on windows 2000 even XP with the only problem of no sound. Now i did download them so i dont know if they are patched to work with 2000&^ or what.
See your question above.

Alucard_The_Dex said:
Should i Just dual boot 2000 and 98? Cuz honestly i dont like 98 at all but if its what i need to cleanly play games like Blood then i can fix it up to coop.
With DOSBox it won't be necessary.

Alucard_The_Dex

Angery Mame User
Project 64 and Epsxe runs at 20 fps v.v I got a Asus 9400 video card. Any ideas?

Jale

Maybe it's not powerful enough to use Project64, but it should run ePSXe fine even at 20 FPS, since this one has frame skipping. For Nintendo 64 emulation I suggest 1964 instead.

Alucard_The_Dex

Angery Mame User
How do i do frame skipping? And yeah Project 4 doesnt seem all that configureable with the suggested plugins.

Alucard_The_Dex

Angery Mame User
Ok so a whole new set of problems just apeard. I thought Hey running the ps1 CD could be slowing it down abit and even if not why not put my fav game onto the HD so i put the game onto the HD and ran it with epsxe with Petes open gl 1.26 it think it is. Running off the CD it worked fine dandy just slow. I move it over and it says BAH! No wgl extensions! ok so i googlerd it and it says its somthing to do with pixel shaders..... makes no sense sense it was runing Fine off the CD but not the .img. OK so i used the Fast settings and made sure any pixel shading crap was off. it runs great amaizing yay..........get to the menu and eveything and its all garbled to bright there are pure white copys of everything offset from everthing. what the hell???? why is this becoming more complicated? I ran the same .img on a 2.1 ghz tower with a ati radeon 9550 with no problems at all at 500 FPS (which was the defualt for some reason) but none the less it worked

spotanjo3

Project 64 and Epsxe runs at 20 fps v.v I got a Asus 9400 video card. Any ideas?

ePSXe:

Minimum system requirements

* Processor: 1 Ghz cpu (processor) or faster recommended
* RAM: 64 MB minimum (note: not 64mb total of ram on your whole system, 64mb free to use at any given time) However, 128mb total RAM works well, running at an almost perfect FPS with maybe a little jump here and there, but nothing highly noticeable.
* Graphics Card: 3D acceleration supported, OpenGL support can help
* OS: Windows 9x (95, or 98/98SE), NT (XP, 2000, Vista, etc), Linux (any distro will do)
* DirectX: DirectX 7a or higher, this is required for keyboard input.
* CD-ROM: 16x or faster (optional because you can always rip your games onto your hard disk drive as CD images, by using software such as Nero, Alcohol 120%, etc)

It should be noted that if the computer just meets the minimum system requirements, ePSXe will emulate games very roughly, averaging from about 60% to 100% full speed depending on what plugins you use and how high the settings are on them.

Project64:

Minimum system requirements

Intel Pentium 3 700Mhz or AMD Athlon 800Mhz CPU
128MB system RAM
100% Microsoft DirectX 7 compatible video, sound and input devices
Microsoft Windows 98
Microsoft DirectX 7 (default plugins), DirectX 8 (all included plugins)

Highly recommend:

Intel Pentium 3 1.2Ghz or higher or AMD Athlon 1.2 GHz or higher
256MB RAM or more
nVidia GeForce3 or later or ATI Radeon or later
Creative Soundblaster Live! or higher
Wishtech Adaptoid and original Nintendo N64 controller for each player(mmmm tastey!)
Microsoft Windows 2000/XP

Hope this helps you all, Alucard_The_Dex;80883! :)

Alucard_The_Dex

Angery Mame User
Im gonna put a 2.2 mhz mobo+cpu into it im tired of working on 900mhz even if it is my basic rig. Only one thing is stoping me right now and thats the pin connectors are specific for both mobos for the power and leds so i have to make an adaptor v.v gonna suck.

Zach

Umm.. which pins specifically are you talking about ? Don't quite understand what your saying, but it sounds like you are talking about your power supply and mobo have different connectors?

As far as power LEDs go.. they have always been one universal config, that has never changed..

Alucard_The_Dex

Angery Mame User
How Wrong your statment is. First sorry i ment power switch second Cases for building your own PC almost always yes have the 2 pin connectors. Many Companys switched to multipin adaptors (I honestly think to save time when putting them together on the line) and now the LED and Power button COnectors Are all on one block and the block fits onto a specific mobo. This isnt a problem for putting the mobo into a case with 2 pin conectors but when switching out a Old or new (insert w.e brand you may HP Compaq Dell Gateway i think most of them do it now) If it has the combo style with another mobo not made for that case youll have to take the wires out of the plastic combo holder and make your own 2 pin conector plastic things. So switching a New mobo to a old Case i really like turns into more of a hell then i hoped it to be. Anywho I stayed with the 900mhz after i got epsxe to work.

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
I run Windows XP and Windows 98 SE from Virtual PC. I did this to play many of my old adventures.
It's fairly easy to do if you're familiar with fdisk/formatting/installing on older Win versions.

Zach

If retail companies want to stick proprietary shit on their cases/mobos that's up to them, but when it comes to the rest of the world, they do NOT use solid blocks that go over all the connectors. It would not work, because different board makers use different layouts.. Which I hate, and don't understand why something hasn't been worked into the ATX standards.

Gateway, Dell, etc love to mess with crap so you are stuck with their upgrade parts, but there is nothing incorrect about my statement.

Alucard_The_Dex

Angery Mame User
I can Rip into you About how Ignorent and lacking in knowledge On computers you are but I wont. Ill be the bigger man and let you live in your imaginary world where Computers Dont break are all Uniform and equal and retail prebuilt computers Only make up such a small fraction of the PC market where they are worth ignoring all techincal inteligence and doing so is The cool thing to do. Im just Disgusted you would Say such things in a open forum where anyone lacking knowledge comes to seek help.

Zach

That's the best you can do?

You need to learn how to read, cause I never said any of that stuff. You can feel sad for me all you want, because anyone with a brain who reads this thread will be sad for you.

The only thing I lack is patience for idiocy.

Last edited:

Alucard_The_Dex

Angery Mame User
Ok since you must be misreading it "Say such things" is refering to what you ACTUALLY said Not my statement about how you make yourself look.

Zach

You still insinuated that's what I believe, which I would have had to say at SOME point for you to establish your basis for claiming those are my beliefs.

The fact is, all I said is that the pin layouts for POWER, HD, RESET, etc always come grouped together, and they do NOT all use this single solid block you say slides over all the pins at once. I only said retail companies may use them but the rest of the world does NOT.

I have NEVER bought a PC case that comes with these solid block connectors, they all have individual connections for each switch and LED to connect to the motherboard pins, because not all manufacturers put their pins in the same place even though they all typically use the same 2 row config.

So basically you started an arguement with me because I was apparently agreeing with you... Good job :ninja: