PSP Unbricking/Downgrading Guide for all current hardware revisions.

TchuBacha

I am the Stig
PSP Unbricking/Downgrading Guide for all current hardware revisions.

This guide will help you unbrick your PSP or downgrade your PSP from any version back down to 1.50

Requirements-
  • A computer running Windows (XP is probably best) There is a guide that explains how to do this on linux here
  • A homebrew enabled PSP in 100% working order.
  • A bricked PSP or a PSP you wish to downgrade.
  • A Memory stick Pro Duo that is 256Mb or Larger (Upto 2GB). Memory Stick Pros do not work
  • A USB Cable.
  • A little bit of knowledge with the command prompt. Not nessecary but it will help.
  • Most importantly a PSP battery (Spare battery if you can)

What is going to happen?
  • Firstly you will format your memory stick using your PSP, so backup up your data first.
  • Then you will run a program that modifiys that format of the memory stick to help prevent errors.
  • You will then modofiy the serial number stored inside a PSP battery so that it reads 0xFFFFFFFF.
  • The PSP is programmed to launch the initial-program-load (IPL) from the memory stick if the battery reads 0xFFFFFFFF.
  • Any other value and it will try to boot from Flash0, obviouslly failing if Flash0 is corrupt.
  • This will launch a small program that can write to Flash0 restoring a PSPs firmware.

Things you should know-
  • After you have finished downgrading/unbricking, you can change the serial number of the battery so it will boot the PSP normally.
  • You can also format the memory stick again and use it normally.
  • All software provided in the links contain no copyright material.
  • Some people have been selling unbricking services on auction websites for £30, £40...
  • Dont use them, they are profiting from a group of hackers work who want this software to be free for everyone.
  • The Slim PSP isn't out yet, so its unknown if this unbricker/downgrader will work on a Slim PSP.
  • But it does work on all hardware revisions of the current PSP. TA-082 etc...all work :)

This part of the guide requires a homebrew enabled PSP, such as 1.50, any of the Dark_ALex's CFW, any version of M33's CFW....

1. Download "Pandora's Battery" from here. This is the creators' website so you may want to donate a few pennies via paypal ;)
2. Extract "Pandora's Battery" to C:\ (OR what ever drive letter your OS is installed on) so you end up with a folder in the root of your hard drive.

Your drive should look like this-
C:\pandora\readme.txt
C:\pandora\battery\pandora_battery\EBOOT.PBP
C:\pandora\battery\pandora_battery%\EBOOT.PBP
C:\pandora\installer\pbfirm_install\EBOOT.PBP
C:\pandora\installer\pbfirm_install%\EBOOT.PBP
C:\pandora\msinst\msinst.exe
C:\pandora\mspformat\mspformat.exe

4. Backup everything that you wish to keep on your memory stick to your PC. Then from within the PSP format the memory stick.
5. Know up up a command prompt. Start -> Run -> Type "CMD" and press enter.
6. Type "C:" without the quotes and press enter.
7. Type "CD Pandora\mspformat" without the quotes and press enter.
8. Now connect your PSP to your computer and still in the command prompt type "mspformat [PSPSDRIVELETTER]" and press enter

Example-
mspformat X

9. Make sure the drive letter youve typed in is your PSP. Accept the warning and type "y" without the quotes and press enter.
10. This will format your memory stick and make it logical.
11. PULL OUT THE MEMORY STICK FROM THE PSP, THEN CLOSE THE USB CONNECTION. <-- IMPORTANT
12. Put the memory stick back in again and connect the PSP to a PC.
13. Manually create a "PSP" and inside of that a "GAME" folder on your memory stick. ("GAME150" if your using a CFW)
14. Copy the contents of the "battery" folder and the "installer" folder from the inside the folder you downloaded and extracted earlier.
15. Download the official 1.50 firmware update from here, extract it and rename it from EBOOT.PBP to UPDATE.PBP
16. Copy it to the root of your memory stick

Your drive should look like this-
X:\PSP\GAME\pandora_battery\EBOOT.PBP
X:\PSP\GAME\pandora_battery%\EBOOT.PBP
X:\PSP\GAME\pbfirm_install\EBOOT.PBP
X:\PSP\GAME\pbfirm_install%\EBOOT.PBP
X:\UPDATE.PBP

17. PULL OUT THE MEMORY STICK FROM THE PSP, THEN CLOSE THE USB CONNECTION. <-- IMPORTANT
18. Remove the battery, insert the memory stick again then the battery and turn it on.
19. Run the "Pandora's Battery Firmware Installer" program to dump a file to your memory stick. Press [X] when prompted.
20. Connect your psp to a computer.
21. Open up a command prompt again (See above for help) and type "C:" without the quotes and press enter
22. Type "cd pandora\msinst" without the quotes and press enter.
23. Now type "msinst [PSPSDRIVELETTER] msipl.bin" without the quotes and press enter.

Example-
msinst X msipl.bin

24. When promopted type "y" without the quotes and press enter. This take a few seconds and will modify a file on your memory stick.
25. NOW PULL OUT THE MEMORY STICK FROM THE PSP, THEN CLOSE THE USB CONNECTION. <-- IMPORTANT
26. Run the "Pandora's Battery Creator" program on the PSP and I recommend you back a backup of your battery's eeprom by pressing triangle
27. This will dump a small 1k file to your memory stick called eeprom.bin, it will then auto exit the program.
28. Run the "Pandora's Battery Creator" program on the PSP again and press [X] to convert your battery into a service Mode Battery AKA Pandora Battery
29. After you have unbricked/downgraded your PSP, launch this program again and press square to write and non servce mode serial to your PSP or press L+R to restore the serial from the eeprom.bin if you made a back up earlier.
30. You have know created a "Magic Memory Stick" and a "Jigkick battery" AKA Pandoras Battery

This part of the guide requires a bricked PSP or the PSP you wish to downgrade.

1. Remove the UMD from the PSP if there is one and remove the charger from the PSP.
2. Insert the "Magic Memory Stick", then insert your "Jigkick Battery" into your PSP.
3. The three lights on your PSP will light up and then your PSP will auto start and some text will appear on the screen.
4. If you wish, press [O] to make a backup of your NAND flash to your memory stick.
5. To restore your PSP with firmware version 1,50 press [X]

Congratulations, you have now unbricked/downgraded your PSP!!!

Remember if you used these programs then donate a few pennies to the creators (Team C+D) :D

^^ If you notice any mistakes in this guide then PM me and I'll try to get them fixed. ^^^

Last edited:

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
I have firmware 7.82 can I downgrade or brick??:confused:

onewecallgod

"Bricking" means to turn something into a useless object. Probably not something you'd want to do to your PSP.

TchuBacha

I am the Stig
"Bricking" means to turn something into a useless object. Probably not something you'd want to do to your PSP.

A bricked PSP is a PSP with a corrupted firmware. A PSP with a corrupt firmware will not function, leaving you with a useless shiny and expensive brick.

"Brick" because thats all you can do with them.

Some people call them paperweights aswell.

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
So what your saying is when you downgrade you get a brick.

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
Just joking. LOL

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
Dont use them, they are profiting from a group of hackers work who want this software to be free for everyone.

What do you mean ?

People are charging money when you can do it yourself for free.
And the software that they are probably using is the software that the hackers released for free.

Last edited:

spotanjo3

Wait.. I am confuse. Bricked psp you mean or the program the hacker are going to charge us to download it to unbricked the psp ?

EDIT: it is for linux only ? no windows user ?

Last edited:

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
Wait.. I am confuse. Bricked psp you mean or the program the hacker are going to charge us to download it to unbricked the psp ?

Bricked means it does not work up now.Some hackers released software which allows you to unbrick a PSP.{bring it back to life} There are some people that cahrge money to unbrick PSPs.Which is a waste of money because the software is free so why pay money when you can do it yourself.

spotanjo3

Bricked means it does not work up now.Some hackers released software which allows you to unbrick a PSP.{bring it back to life} There are some people that cahrge money to unbrick PSPs.Which is a waste of money because the software is free so why pay money when you can do it yourself.

I know what is bricked psp. :)

So download this program is free so I can unbricked psp and it will be like original psp when you bought one ?

I might look for cheaper at ebay for bricked psp. ;)

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
thats a good idea. If your plannin on buying one you better hurry, cause people are going to hear about it and not sell them.

TchuBacha

I am the Stig
People are charging money when you can do it yourself for free.
And the software that they are probably using is the software that the hackers released for free.

Someone from the team that created the unbrick decided to sell ready made unbricking battery and memory stick to people for around $1500. Original this unbricker was supposed to be released after the slim PSP came out, but they decided to release it now to stop any more people profiting from something they believe should be free for everyone.

A couple of weeks ago I stumble upon a couple of modchip websites that were charger £30 to unbrick or downgrade any PSP. Bet you anything they were using the leaked version of this unbricker.

I know what is bricked psp. :)

So download this program is free so I can unbricked psp and it will be like original psp when you bought one ?

I might look for cheaper at ebay for bricked psp. ;)

Basically yes. But from what I gather the program isn't perfect. The creators are still working on fixing the idstorage for people who have a corrupted idstorage. The idstorage is a portion of the NAND chip that doesn't get writen to when you update your PSP and contains information such as your PSP's MAC address, region code, RAM timings etc...

Also about 2 seconds after this unbricker was released prices for "bricked" PSPs on eBay shot up. Aswell as many people selling unbricking services.

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
Someone from the team that created the unbrick decided to sell ready made unbricking battery and memory stick to people for around $1500.

Is that Fifteen dollars or ONE-THOUSAND-FIVE-HUNDRED ?

spotanjo3

LOL... maybe you can tell us in usa dollars because I dont know what is your currency dollar is. :p

I know I can look into it on the google.com but I don't feel like. :D

TchuBacha

I am the Stig
LOL... maybe you can tell us in usa dollars because I dont know what is your currency dollar is. :p

I know I can look into it on the google.com but I don't feel like. :D

Thats around $3000. I think you might misunderstand me. Thats around $3000 that someone was selling them for before the rest of the team decided to released the program. Not what someone is selling them for now.

Last edited:

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
Thats RETARDED

But I would do the same.

Last edited:

willyham

Parselmouth
i downgraded my psp b4 they brang out the new psp's with the firmware which is really really annoying!!! but has a few features...but i got this thing that tricks the psp into thinking it has the latest firmware giving me acces too the new featues such as net browser and wireless music blah blah...pretty cool...

NICE THREAD