ePSXe-Question about plugins

RachelWoods

Alright;
When I first downloaded my ePSXe, I downloaded a plugin called P.E.Op.S. Soft Driver 1.17. I started playing Final Fantasy VII, but I wasn't really satisfied with the graphics, so I tried to change my configuration, which didn't help much. So I decided to go with Pete's D3D Driver 1.76, which did an amazing job, I think, with the 3D graphics. (By the way, if it isn't already obvious, I'm a newbie and I'm not all that tech savvy, so please bear with me if I'm screwing up the terms...)The other graphics (2D graphics?), the ones that aren't moving, such as the backgrounds in FF7 -that beautiful illustrated looking stuff, actually seems to have gotten much worse with Pete's plugin. I actually downloaded Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.6 to see if it would be better (well, one would think...), but when I try to use it, I get a bunch of messages saying that things like...pixels are missing? Huh?

So my question is:
Is there a plugin that I can use to clean the other graphics up? Doesn't have to have 3D as nice as Pete's, but it would be nice...

By the way, I've tried messing with configurations on all the plugins. Maybe I haven't played with them enough...?

montpics

Alright;
When I first downloaded my ePSXe, I downloaded a plugin called P.E.Op.S. Soft Driver 1.17. I started playing Final Fantasy VII, but I wasn't really satisfied with the graphics, so I tried to change my configuration, which didn't help much. So I decided to go with Pete's D3D Driver 1.76, which did an amazing job, I think, with the 3D graphics. (By the way, if it isn't already obvious, I'm a newbie and I'm not all that tech savvy, so please bear with me if I'm screwing up the terms...)The other graphics (2D graphics?), the ones that aren't moving, such as the backgrounds in FF7 -that beautiful illustrated looking stuff, actually seems to have gotten much worse with Pete's plugin.
You can't do anything to make 2D backgrounds better as it MADE like that.

I actually downloaded Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.6 to see if it would be better (well, one would think...), but when I try to use it, I get a bunch of messages saying that things like...pixels are missing? Huh?
Apparently your graphic card doesn't have pixel shader support.

So my question is:
Is there a plugin that I can use to clean the other graphics up? Doesn't have to have 3D as nice as Pete's, but it would be nice...
Pete's GPU plugin is the best among them.

RachelWoods

Thank you! I was wondering why nobody had replied to my post for a while. Perhaps it was a blatantly stupid question...? Then again, many people tend to jump at the chance when it presents itself...lol
Guess the title wasn't catchy enough :)

I'm still curious though, and I'm sure you could help me out, so here goes;
If the 2D graphics are "made" like that, why do they look so much better on my television screen, which is much larger than my laptop screen? True, when I'm using my television, I'm much further away than I would be if I were using my laptop, but one would think that the smaller screen would remedy that somewhat.

By the way, I'm not trying to be difficult or snide, I'm sincerely curious. And in case you're wondering about why I would even bother trying to use my computer if I can use my tv; I've just started my freshman year of college, and unfortunately, I have to dorm. Not exactly extra space for a tv here. :)

montpics

RachelWoods said:
If the 2D graphics are "made" like that, why do they look so much better on my television screen, which is much larger than my laptop screen? True, when I'm using my television, I'm much further away than I would be if I were using my laptop, but one would think that the smaller screen would remedy that somewhat.
From wikipedia link given,

Graphics processing unit

This chip is separate to the CPU and handles all the 2D graphics processing, which includes the transformed 3D polygons.

Features:

• Maximum of 16.7 million colors
  • Resolutions from 256×224 to 640×480
  • Adjustable frame buffer
  • Unlimited color lookup tables
  • Maximum of 24-bit color depth
  • Maximum of 4000 8×8 pixel sprites with individual scaling and rotation
  • Emulation of simultaneous backgrounds (for parallax scrolling)
  • Flat or Gouraud shading, and texture mapping

Please take note that most of PS games' screen resolution is made under the actual TV screen resolution which was between 256*224 and 640*480. While your laptop's screen resolution is probably 1024*768 (or higher), the huge difference between TV and laptop's screen is pretty much noticeable.