DirectX 10 Is Now Obsolete

Jale

DIRECTX10 IS NOW OBSOLETE.
But not all is lost. Read and find out why.

SIGGRAPH 2007 was the stage where Microsoft dropped the bomb, informing gamers that the currently available DirectX 10 hardware will not support the upcoming DirectX 10.1 in Vista SP1. In essence, all current DX10 hardware is now obsolete. But don't get too upset just yet: 'Gamers shouldn't fret too much - 10.1 adds virtually nothing that they will care about and, more to the point, adds almost nothing that developers are likely to care about. The spec revision basically makes a number of things that are optional in DX10 compulsory under the new standard - such as 32-bit floating point filtering, as opposed to the 16-bit current. 4xAA is a compulsory standard to support in 10.1, whereas graphics vendors can pick and choose their anti-aliasing support currently. We suspect that the spec is likely to be ill-received. Not only does it require brand new hardware, immediately creating a minuscule sub-set of DX10 owners, but it also requires Vista SP1, and also requires developer implementation.

Last edited:

Epsi

Zoo Keeper
Title is a bit... over dramatic. directx 10 is far from absolete.

onewecallgod

What is the point in just copying and pasting part of an article? Atleast link to the original.
Oh my God. I remember the Anime Party bashing thread we had here years ago. Oh how long ago that was.

Jale

Title is a bit... over dramatic. directx 10 is far from absolete.
Yeah, I know. It adds some "spice" to the news :D

Back on topic; if the changes are meaningless, then why the hardware change? I mean, very few apps and games uses the DirectX 10 technonogy. Just thinking on a gaming enthusiast who bought his brand new DirectX 10 card to find out a DirectX upgrade being unsupported by his/her current hardware.

gforce75

Cloud
Wow, for real? When's the vista sp1 coming out?

Zach

Whether or not it's used, it still makes it obsolete.. Just like your PC is obselete the same day it comes off the assembly line.. Just technical facts... :p

I will totally laugh if this blows up in Microsofts face.. They already dictate when and what we upgrade to with their operating systems.. But if they think they can subvert the graphics card market, they are insane.

Epsi

Zoo Keeper
Theres already a leaked version of Windows Vista sp1 on the internet. Aparently it has much better driver support. yay.