FF7 ePSXe FMV & Slowdown Problems

world globe

Hi, this is clearly not the first time anyone has had trouble emulating FF7, but I've run into a dead end.

I downloaded ePSXe 1.6, tried many different plugins, and seemed to find success with Pete's OpenGL2 2.8 and Eternal SPU. However, I have a few problems that really bother me and I'd like to take care of.
First, the intro movie (and by extension probably all of the FMVs in the game)...at first there was no sound from the FMV. I managed to get the sound working but it is very choppy, as is the video. It is unbearably slow. To be specific about the sound though, it is just the sound embedded in the FMV, the in-game audio music that plays over this opening FMV plays without being choppy; it is however stretched out due to the FMV moving so slow. So, I'd like to care of that.

Secondly, in game there will be annoying slowdowns when events happen, such as entering a new screen or going into/out of battle. It's relatively minor since I CAN play the game, but since other people have been able to perfectly emulate this I'd like to as well.
Another point is the CDROM plugins. Well, the default one seemed to work best, although that's not saying much. I tried SaPu, Peops, and some other one, at all kinds of different settings that I tried myself or read about elsewhere. I am fairly convinced this is a problem with the CDROM plugin or something along those lines. When the game is, say at the beginning mako reactor within the same screen or battle, I get absolutely perfectly graphic and sound emulation. It's specifically the opening FMV and transitions where slowdown occurs (the slowdown is much worse for the FMV, and again the built-in sound is chopped up).

As far as specs go, I'm not sure what to specifically post. This is a year old laptop with what seems to be a more than capable graphics card (NVIDIA Geforce Go 7800) and a modern CD-R/DVD drive. I AM using the original FF7 CDs for Playstation. I read that one possible solution is making/obtaining an ISO for the game, but I simply do not have the space for this alternative. Moreover, the original CDs work in the original Playstation and Playstation 2 with no sort of slowdown, so the CDs are in fine shape (I will be away from these systems, so that's why I'm trying to make this work on the laptop).

I am only trying to emulate the PSX version because although I have the PC version as well, but I simply can't get it to work with Windows XP, no matter what patch or anything. Now I'm in disbelief as emulating the PSX version almost seemed foolproof at this point in time.

If anyone could help me with these problems, I'd very much appreciate it.

Last edited:

montpics

Since you are using a laptop it would better that you may try dumping/making a CD image and play with the image without the need of the real CD. (It may improve the performance.) :)

Solis

hello world globe,

The only way i know to get the fmvs to work at full speed is to make an iso of the game if not the fmv's are going to be choppy. And BTW that is on my Desktop

Specs.

Ati Radeon x550 256mb
Msi K8M890M2
512 Cosair Value Select Memory
Memorex 16x DVD/CDR writer
Onboard System Sound