Final Fantasy IX For PC

darkboi

As most of you know, there has never actually been a PC version of Final Fantasy IX. Yet there where PC versions of both Final Fantasy VII and VIII. That's why I'm planning to start a project to 'port' Final Fantasy IX to PC.

There's already quite a few Playstation emulators around already. PCSX is an opensource emulator that could be used as an 'engine' for a 'PC' version of Final Fantasy IX. This would be done by removing the UI. Configuration of the 'engine' would be done through a square-styled options menu (a lot like the ones in Final Fantasy VII and VIII).

To keep things legal, the 'engine' installer will ask for the user to insert discs 1-4 (or locate the disc images) for extraction into the program folder. The installer will also ask for a BIOS correspondent to the region of Final Fantasy IX.

I've previously brought this up on NGemu twice before. I've been told that this idea is stupid, pointless etc. a lot of stuff really. I personally think it's a good idea. So it boils down to this; I don't want your opinion.

Okay, so the reason I have mentioned this, is because, I have no idea where to start. I'm looking for anyone who understands the source of PCSX/any other opensource PS1 emulator and is willing to help out.

Attached below are some concept images (these aren't real)

Please feel free to discuss this, and if anyone can help, pop over to #ffixpcport on EFnet.

Last edited:

Jale

I remember Silent Hill used the same porting project like yours, but since you'll have to find the game and the BIOS, I don't really see it's a port, but emulation. To me it's some sort of front end for that PlayStation emulator, but makes things easier to configure.

Keep it up.