want to help find a cure for cancer?

onewecallgod

http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/

this is a great project thats done by thousands of people around the globe. we could start a Folding @ Home team for this site, but we have too little people, so my idea is to help the forum i am folding for right now.

forums.extremeoverclocking.com

i've been there for over a year and its a great place to post and help people.

anyone willing to help?

nesman

i've read the site but i dont understand it. i know what protein folding is(im taking biology) but i dont understand the project. how does it work? i would like to help :)

onewecallgod

Originally posted by nesman@Jul 15 2004, 07:29 AM
i've read the site but i dont understand it. i know what protein folding is(im taking biology) but i dont understand the project. how does it work? i would like to help :)
yeah, i've taken biology and i still dont understand it :p

you dont need to understand how its works, just that it works :D

nesman

lol :D so what is this project supposed to do? how are they going to fight cancer with our PCs? ( i read the site, but i dont understand it)

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Ah, yet another SETI clone :)

All these projects work in a similar way. You install a program that connects to a server. The program then downloads some data and uses your wasted CPU power to decode the data and sends them back.

Now imagine millions of computers all over the world doing that at the same time.

That way users get to donate cpu power to help in good causes like decode cancer genes, space signals etc :)

Zach

You're basically taking a protein model on your PC and performing virtual experiments on it or something like that, in an attempt to produce the desired effect.