FFVIII, GT/2, DQVII problems on ePSXe 1.6.0

DtSnazzySniff

I'm running ePSXe 1.6.0 on an XP Media Center 05 PC with specs that far exceed requirements, using the US BIOS with default plug-ins and the PSX Emualtion Cheater add-on. I use a DualShock 2 and a converter to control.

Final Fantasy VIII (region unknown): After the intro movie, once the text that is used in-game appears, it is illegible. Most of it isn't there, save for a few vertical lines and bits of other letters. Using the "Game-specific fix" in the video plug-in config doesn't help. It happens on all 4 discs, so I doubt it's the files I've got.

Gran Turismo and Gran Turismo 2 (U): I have no idea how to get the steering controls to use the analog sticks. Pressing the "analog enable" button on my DualShock 2 does nothing.

Dragon Quest VII (region unknown): The game will hang after you press start on the title screen. It loads a blue background and loops the music over and over, but will never load any text or menus, nor respond to any controller input. Using the "Game-specific fix" in the video plug-in config doesn't help. It happens to both discs, so I doubt it's the files I've got.

Can any help me out? I've tried Googling some help, but haven't found any. Sorry if these are old questions.