Optimum performance

Takfloyd

I have a 1.5 ghz laptop with an integrated Intel GMA 900 chipset. Not too shabby for an old laptop, and it runs FFVII perfectly on pSX. With FFVIII, on the other hand, the music slows down whenever something flashy happens in battle, like summoning. This is really annoying, and enough to make me prefer ePSXe even if it doesn't look as authentic as pSX. Now I was wondering, is there a tech whiz out there who might know what kind of setup will look and sound best on my computer? I don't want to see the seams between the ground tiles on the world map!

And another thing, FFVIII seems to be permanently stuck in widescreen mode, and that causes ePSXe to stretch the screen vertically so everything looks kinda... stretched vertically. Any solutions to this?

Solis

hello Takfloyd,

Well for FF8 it works great on PSXevenv_0.19 I beat it on this emulator but, It should work well with epsxe.

The Most Compatible GPU plugin.
*Peopsoft v1.17 (Regular PSX Graphics) FF8 - there is a problem just before you enter a battle the Splash screen does not look right (not every battle though).

The Best Spu
*Eternal Spu

For Controll Pad I like
*SSSPSX Pad

BTW pSX Author had mentioned that the next release of pSX would have fixes for FF8.

Last edited:

Takfloyd

I can't believe this... the setup you suggested looks absolutely PERFECT... except the friggin' battle menu DOESN'T SHOW UP! And guess what, it's because I have FRAME SKIPPING enabled! What the heck does that have to do with frame skipping? And I have to have frame skipping to avoid slowdown during summons and stuff. Aargh, I feel like I'm SO close, and then something as stupid as this shows up... Unless there's some miraculous fix to this, I'm buying FFVIII off eBay.

EDIT: I found out that my pSX emulator was slightly outdated, version 1.11 works a lot better. Not perfect, but I guess I'll stick with that since there's no better option other than buying the game, which I might do.

EDITEDIT: Forget it, the FMVs lag now... I'm still open to advice...

Last edited:

Solis

Peopssoft works best with

Strecthed To Full Window Size - on
Dithering - on
Transparent FPS Display - on or off
Use FPS Limit With Auto-Detect - on
Frame skipping - off

And frame skipping skips a frame thats what cause missing graphics or splash screens. i think it is
only used if your video card is old and can't run at full speed that what its used for.

Last edited: