ePSXe looks blocky?

deeznutz

I use the latest version (1.60) of ePSXe and it works perfectly.

I've got the video set with Pete's DX6 3D3 1.76 and my CPU is fairly new so i got everything set on nice, resolution on 1024x768 on fullscreen mode.

I wanted to play Castlevania (SOTN) and it's been 10 years but i remember it to look better than this http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/605/castlesl8.jpg

I tried some other options and i can make it look alittle better but speed goes down, still it doesn't look let's say twice as good as the screenshot. When i don't play in fullscreen mode but window mode 640x480 it does look alittle better but i prefer fullscreen.

I've haven't seen any screenshot of other ePSXe users only for FFVIII and that looked much better than my screenshot. "Is this the best it can look?". Background looks great but Alucard looks kinda blocky for a 32-bit. I mean even some SNES games (16-bit) look less blocky than this.

Jale

That's how it looks on the real system. To make it look a bit better, configure your video plugin with the following:

• Plugin: Pete's DX6 D3D.
  • Desktop resolution: Your choice. *
  • Color depth: 32 bit.
  • Texture quality: Nice colors.
  • Texture filtering: Extended + Smoothed sprites. **

Check if the following items are enabled:

• Use Frame skipping.
  • Autodetect FPS/Frame Skipping Limit.
  • Off-screen drawing: Show more stuff.

Leave the rest as they are.

* From 640x480 or higher. For this game (Castlevania: Symphony of the Night), leave it to 640x480.
** This will put an interpolation effect on sprites. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is mostly composed by sprites.

Last edited:

Jale

Well, the real trick here is to set the texture filtering to Extended + Smoothed sprites. I put the rest of the settings there to make sure you have a good emulation experience.